Jazz Age Lawn Party on Governors Island
Saturday & Sunday, June 6-7, 2009
This event sounds like a wonderful way to spend a weekend whose weather boasts sunny skies & 79 degrees.
Michael Arenella and His Dreamland Orchestra invite you to join them at this hidden gem on Governors Island.
Under a shady grove of centuries-old trees, caressed by fresh sea air, a sprawling green surrounded by historic officers’ quarters and 18th century naval ramparts becomes the setting for a true Gatsby affair.
* A delightful variety of refreshing summer cocktails, wine, prosecco and beer are available and will be served by expert mixologists.
* Picnickers are welcome. There will also be gourmet coffee and a yummy assortment of sandwiches, salads and other treats available.
* Vintage ’78 records spun on 1920s Victor Credenza phonograph machine by Matthew Hinson
* 1920s Motorcar Exhibition - take a spin around the island in a genuine rumbleseat; hold on to your hat!
* Vintage clothing dealers and boutique milliners including Ellen Christine, Cassie McGregor and Leigh Magar of Magar Hatworks. They will all be peddling wares, so be sure to tuck some cash into your garter.
* Special literature/ephemera booths and readings by the Dorothy Parker Society & F. Scott Fitzgerald Society
* Horseshoe Toss
* Tug O’ War
* Parade Of Hats (Sunday Only)
* Pie Recipe Contest (Saturday Only)* - Categories: “Mom’s Best”, “Most Original”, and “Hobo’s Choice." Special Prizes and coveted gift certificates to be awarded.
Governors Island Ferry Schedule
Ferries depart on the hour from downtown Manhattan to Governors Island:
9am, 10am, 11am, 12pm, 1pm, 2pm, 3pm, 4pm, 5pm
Ferries return to downtown on the half hour from Governors Island to Manhattan:
10:30am, 11:30am, 12:30am, 1:30pm, 2:30pm , 3:30pm, 4:30pm, and 5:30pm, and 6:30pm (final boat leaves at 7pm)
Governors Island Ferry
10 South Street, in lower Manhattan
Just northeast of the Staten Island Ferry
R train to Whitehall Street